Posts Tagged ‘backpack safety’
Once your kids are back in school with those nice shiny new backpacks, you want to make sure that you keep their spines healthy and happy all year long. You may want to get them the latest model but to make sure it is the right one, keep these tips in mind:
- It is lightweight and fits snugly against their body
- It’s made of vinyl or canvas
- Its two straps are wide and padded
Now that you have picked a good quality backpack, you want to ensure you pack it correctly. When packing it with school things follow these tips:
- Place the heaviest items as close to the back as possible so they are close to their body
- Do not pack bumpy and odd-shaped items against the body
- Be sure that the weight of their backpack is less than 10% of their body weight. So, if your child weighs 100 pounds, the backpack should weigh no more than 10 pounds
Now that you’ve made sure their backpack is of a good quality and packed correctly, we want to make sure they are sitting correctly as they spend those long hours and days in the classroom. You’ve probably told your child to sit up straight many, many times. Well, the same thing applies in the classroom.
Slumping over the desk can put too much strain on kids’ necks, upper spine, and backs. This especially applies to kids who spend a lot of time on their smart devices, hunching over in an unhealthy posture. When children use these devices, they tend to tilt their heads and move their shoulders forward into a rounded position, which can lead to neck, upper back, shoulder, and arm pain.
Here are some tips for good sitting posture:
- Keep feet flat on the floor
- Hold shoulders in a relaxed position
- Sit with back up against the back of their chair
- Ears should be kept over their shoulders and chin just slightly tucked
- Hold any books at eye level
Even young children can experience the effects of poor posture and back pain, so it’s never too early for young children to learn lessons of good posture.
Our experienced chiropractic team at Synergy Sports Wellness Institute™ is here to help your entire family maintain healthy spines. If you have any questions or concerns, call Synergy Sports Wellness Institute™ at 404-352-8900 to schedule an appointment. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more updates about maintaining peak health and wellness.