Posts Tagged ‘disability’
Low back pain (LBP) is more than a minor discomfort. On top of the pain itself, the common condition could limit your activity level and cause you to miss work. Although 90% of folks with LBP are back to their old selves within a few months, the remaining 10% are at a high risk for developing chronic pain and disability. How do you make sure you aren’t among them?
While most of us respond to pain by resting, staying active can actually keep your chronic lower back pain symptoms to a minimum. The question is: what type of exercise is best for people with lower back pain?
Walking vs. Strenuous Exercise
Considering how common lower back pain is, this question has been studied time and time again. Most notably, several studies have examined patients with chronic lower back pain (CLBP) and compared walking to a rigorous exercise program. Short-term and long-term follow-ups all showed that a simple routine of walking regularly was just as effective as a more intensive program of other exercises. In fact, people who walked regularly experienced less pain along with fewer activity and movement limitations.
What You Can Do About Lower Back Pain
If you want to keep your back pain to a minimum the first thing you can do is strap on a pair of comfortable shoes and hit the sidewalks. As an added bonus, exercising by walking can improve your metabolism and help you control your weight while also boosting your mood. For those who aren’t frequent flyers at the gym, it’s also a less intimidating and less injury-prone workout program than lifting weights.
Along with a walking program, there are plenty of other ways you can improve your lower back pain. Start by adding specific stretches to your daily routine. One stretch that focuses on your lower back is laying on your back and pulling one knee toward your chest. Hold it there for 30 seconds before repeating with the other knee. Another option is to lay on your back with both your knees bent at your chest. There are many other stretches you can incorporate into your daily routine. One of our Synergy experts can assist you in finding ones that suit your needs.
Besides walking and stretching, you need to take a close look at the way you sit. Poor posture is a common cause of lower back pain, especially if you work at a desk. When you sit, your knees should be at a 90-degree angle and your back should be against the back of your chair. Also, you should not hunch over computer when you sit as this position will put additional strain on the lower back.
Most importantly, though, you need to find the reason your back is in pain. Our experienced chiropractic team at Synergy Sports Wellness Institute™ can examine your back, find the root of the problem, and help you explore your options for relief. If you are experiencing low back pain, call Synergy Sports Wellness Institute™ at 404-352-8900 to schedule an appointment. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more updates about maintaining peak health and wellness.